ESSS meetings and activities:
January 16- 10:00 am-1:00 pm - Virtual ESSS General Meeting
January 10 and 24 -12:30 pm-3:30 pm virtual Sit 'n Knit (this, of course, is our regular time for Sit 'n Knit so even if you aren't able to join the ongoing social knitting on Zoom we hope you will join us for the regular Sit 'n Knit time). Click here for more information
Wednesdays- 6:00 pm-10:00 pm -WIP club (use the Daily Social Knitting Zoom link-see below) Bring your WIP for the WIP challenge: get help and encouragement to finish (or even frog) it.
Daily Social Knitting - Details here (must log in to see)
Note that in addtion to our daily social knitting, we have Sit 'n Knit on the second and fourth Sunday of the month
Other upcoming events of interest:
January 9, 10, 16, 17, 2021 - Stitches at home
January 14-17, 2021 - Virtual Vogue Knitting Live
February 5-7, 2021 - Stitches Expo at home
February 11-14, 2021 - Virtual Vogue Knitting Live
March 13, 14, 20, 21, 2021 - Stitches at home
March 18-21, 2021 - Virtual Vogue Knitting Live
April 10, 11, 17, 18, 2021 - Stitches at home
Some of the links above for virtual Vogue Knitting Live and Stitches events take you to the main information page for their events, that is where you will find links to more information and for signing up when they are available.
February 18-21, 2021 - Stitches West CANCELLED
Note: XRX has announced a virtual conference to take the place of Stitches SoCal (click here to see the letter about Stitches West cancellation and the substitution of Stitches Expo at home). Click here to go to the main Stitches Events page which will have a link to the Stitches Expo at home information when it becomes available (personal note: I attended Stitches Expo at home that was held in place of Stitches SoCal and it was very enjoyable. Of course it wasn't like attending Stitches in person but they have worked hard to make it a fun and informative event--including a virtual Pajama Party on Saturday night!)
A message from Pres. Sarah W.
Happy New Year, although not sure how much has changed, we still cant meet and if yesterday proved anything "idiots will always be idiots". Positive case numbers appear to still be on the rise so please remember knitting at home will reduce your chance of catching covid, stay safe knit on Zoom.
To help you with this prolonged staying at home the 2021 Guild challenge starts now!! WIPs Be GONE! if you need help Wednesday will be WIP club night on Zoom but you can join for help any time. Finished items to be shown to the group at the zoom meeting on the 16th - mark your calendar now. I know it will take me all year to get through my boxes of unfinished projects, lets see how much we can get finished together.
As always the Zoom session will be open from 6pm Monday - Thursday, from 3 on Fridays (bring a glass of wine) and from 9.30am Saturday and Sunday. Its the same link as the meeting so if you want a chat click the link below.
See you all on Zoom
"Zoom Room" hours for social knitting
Monday-Thursday 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Friday 2:00 pm -10:00 pm
(Happy Hour starts at 4 pm on Fridays)
Saturday-Sunday 9:00 am-10:00 pm
Volunteers needed to teach programs.
A request from Lenora (VP/Programs):
I would like to request everyone in the group considers
volunteering to teach next year. Remember not knowing a topic is no excuse, use the program as a way to expand your knowledge and learn a new skill or technique, then present your new skill to the rest of the group. I have programs set for the first five months with teachers so you all have time to learn a new skill and teach the program!!
Remember, the program section of our meeting is aimed at learning. This can be applied not only to the students but also for those instructing.
Click the envelope below for a sample of the latest
Monthly Cable newletter
For members, a full copy of the newsletter is available here.
Some suggestions from Sarah S. on :
Staying Sane--Ways to Stay Connected
By now, most of us are feeling the strain of being stuck at home with only a quick trip to the grocery
store once a week. We all know a fortunate few that have been able to continue working either
remotely or on-site as an essential worker. For the rest of us, we find ourselves both out of work
and without our normal social interaction we rely on to maintain our sanity. Fortunately we have
access to a myriad of online social media platforms to help us stay connected with the world outside
our own four walls. I wanted to remind everyone of some of the opportunities that are available.
Keep in mind this list is in no way exhaustive and they are not necessarily all available for free.
• Ravelry – Search for new groups to join that might have discussion threads on non-yarn topics. I’m a member of a crochet & bread baking group. Just be sure to keep your posts thread appropriate.
• Local Yarn Shops – Many local shops have adopted the Zoom platform to host their regular sit & knits. In some cases they may try to accommodate a portion of their planned class schedule on a modified basis.
• Local Yarn Shops, Part 2 – Many shops have continued to offer online shopping or phone ordering for curbside pick-up. In limited cases, you may be able to speak more in depth with an employee or shop in-store with proper PPE and social distancing, depending on where you live.
• Teachers/Designers – Many teachers, whether full-scale platforms such as Craftsy or individual teachers such as Edie Eckman, have increased their library of online classes and/or offered discounts on certain classes. In some cases, they will send out a discount code in their email newsletter. Designers have been offering their newest patterns free for a very limited time after publishing.
• ESSS Guild – By now I hope everyone has taken the opportunity to log into the ESSS Guild Zoom Chat. Sarah W opens it every day at 8:00am Pacific Time and it remains open until 10:00pm Pacific Time. It is open to all currently active members of the Guild. Some times are more popular than others, but this is a good place to get help on a project, catch up on the ever changing rumors for conventions such as Stitches, get ideas for dinner this week, or just chat about how you’re feeling.