Some Guidelines for using the Zoom social knitting room
(from Sarah W)
1. This Zoom Knitting Chat room is for guild members, while we know there are other fiber artists in our community the meeting invite should not be shared outside of our guild member lists. We don’t want to make it invite only but will if we have to, therefore please:
• Do not forward the link to a friend who is not a member
• Do not post the information on your group page / social media account / Ravelry / Twitter / Facebook /
Myspace / Next Door group or on the post box at the front of your house for anyone to find.
2. Please try and add your name to the app so that it appears on the screen, let everyone know
you are there rather than that there is a Samsung 10 online.
3. Where possible enable the video – we want to see you (but you may want to alert others in your house that you have video on so we don't accidentally flashed)
4. If you get a phone call please mute your microphone, we don’t want to pry but will if you don’t shut us out.
5. Inclusion is key, arranging to meet friends at a particular time online during the day is fine but please include everyone on the call in your conversation.
6. Remember to plug in whatever device you use to connect, then you won’t get cut off unexpectedly.
7. If you are using a camera device remember we can see you and everything you are doing!
8. General sit n knit rules apply,
• Remember to listen to people and try not to talk over someone.
• With video calls it’s one conversation at a time and everyone will hear you.
• Use the chat feature to leave messages, they will stay there all day.
• Try not to talk politics, or other subjects that people may feel uncomfortable with wherever possible.
• Talk about what projects people are working on, try to encourage and praise.
• Trade insider knowledge – i.e. where you found milk/toilet paper or hand sanitizer last or what times are good to shop where.
• Talk about your favorite quarantine meals/drinks/new things you may have tried/favorite takeout
• Talk about the past, what it was like before Covid-19 and what you will do when this is all over.
• Try and keep peoples spirits up, all of us need help getting through this.
• If you need help ask, depending on your camera and who is online it may be possible to help advise on how to fix errors or what to do next although not promising anything.
• Use the technology to meet more guild members and expand your social circle.
ESSS is meeting virtually (for the foreseeable future)
The Stay at Home orders that periodically come up, social distancing requirements and the ongoing closure of the Joslyn Center due to the Covid-19 pandemic means that we cannot meet in person for the foreseeable future. The Guild is now going to embrace technology and use the Zoom service (which provides online meeting services for telephone or video meetings) for our monthly general meetings. That way we can safely meet and have some social interaction without leaving the safety and comfort of our own homes. We are also meeting for some social knitting on an ongoing basis (more on that later)as well as our regular Sit 'n Knit meeting time. In order to connect with the Zoom service you can use a telephone line or internet device (such as a PC, Tablet, or Smartphone). If you don’t have a smart device or computer you can join the conversation via one of the telephone numbers listed, however we won’t be able to see you or what you are working on. Please note You do NOT need an account to access this service so don’t worry about having to provide any information.
To sign onto the monthly meeting (which will be held on the second Saturday of the month from 10 am to 1 pm) click on the link below and it should prompt you to download the app or software (if you haven't already downloaded it). If you don’t have a smart device or computer you can join the conversation via one of the telephone numbers listed, however we won’t be able to see you or what you are working on. Again note, you do NOT need an account to access this service so don’t worry about having to provide any information.
Sarah W. has also set up a meeting room which will be open every day for social knitting (see hours below and in the box at the top right of the page). Use the same link above to log into to that "meeting". You can arrange to meet guild friends online, or just pop on/off if you need company or would like to have someone to chat with. We will be using the same link until things return to normal. Sarah will be initiating the call but sometimes she has to do a little work so even if it says she is there, don't be offended if she doesn't answer right away, it may be that she has turned off her audio and video, to take care of her work, but she will come back on when she is able to.
The hours for social knitting are in the box above.
Let's have some fun with this and plan some special/fun events (like PJs on Sunday mornings, or KAL question time). Please look at the chat window and/or our Ravelry group for theme event notices If you would like to host an event or have an idea for one please use the Contact Us link to let Sarah know. See below for some guidelines for using the Zoom social knitting room.
"Zoom Room" hours for social knitting
Monday-Thursday 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Friday 2:00 pm -10:00 pm
(Happy Hour starts at 4 pm on Fridays)
Saturday-Sunday 9:00 am-10:00 pm
The room is also open for meetings and such, the link is below (same for meetings and social knitting
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 930 531 109
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,930531109# US (San Jose)
+14086380968,,930531109# US (San Jose)
Dial by your location
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 253 215 8782 US
+1 301 715 8592 US
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Meeting ID: 930 531 109
Find your local number: https://us04web.zoom.us/u/fXtZCMzF8