ESSS meetings and activities:
June 19 - 10:00 am-1:00 pm - Virtual ESSS General Meeting
June 13 and 27 -12:30 pm-3:30 pm virtual Sit 'n Knit (this, of course, is our regular time for Sit 'n Knit so even if you aren't able to join the ongoing social knitting on Zoom we hope you will join us for the regular Sit 'n Knit time). Click here for more information
Wednesdays- 6:00 pm-10:00 pm -WIP club (use the Daily Social Knitting Zoom link-see below) Bring your WIP for the WIP challenge: get help and encouragement to finish (or even frog) it.
Daily Social Knitting - Details here (must log in to see)
Note that in addtion to our daily social knitting, we have Sit 'n Knit on the second and fourth Sunday of the month
Other upcoming events of interest:
June 10-13, 2021 - Virtual Vogue Knitting Live
June 11-13, 2021 - Stitches Expo at home
July 10, 11, 17, 18, 2021 - Stitches at home
July 15-18, 2021 - Virtual Vogue Knitting Live
August 6-8, 2021 - Stitches Expo at home
September 9-12, 2021 - Virtual Vogue Knitting Live
September 11, 12, 18, 19, 2021 - Stitches at home
October 7-10, 2021 - Virtual Vogue Knitting Live
October 8-10, 2021 - Stitches Expo at home
November 11-14, 2021 - Virtual Vogue Knitting Live
November 11-14, 2021 - In person Stitches SoCal
(very tentatively scheduled, see below)
December 9-12, 2021 - Virtual Vogue Knitting Live
January 7-9, 2022 - Stitches Expo at home
February 5, 6, 12, 13, 2022 - Stitches at home
April 2, 3, 9,10, 2022 - Stitches at home
May 13-15, 2022 - Stitches Expo at home
June 11, 12, 18, 19, 2022 - Stitches at home
In Person Events:
March 3-6, 2022 - Stitches West 2022-Sacramento, CA
Note: Stitches West 2022 is currently showing on the XRX website as being an in person event and this is the year they are moving to Sacramento, but currently there isn't anymore information. On the same website, there is a listing for Stitches SoCal 2021 (without any links to more information) but on the Stitches Events website for November 2021 it just says TBD. If you are interested in these events, keep checking the websites and perhaps sign up for the Stitches email newsletter, click here.
A message from Pres. Sarah W.
As you will read in the newsletter, if you didn't know already, we have unfortunately lost another long term member this month (see more in the newsletter) This weekend (May 15) we will be meeting online from 10am for our monthly meeting so if you would like to join and share stories with the rest of the group they will be more than welcome. If anyone has pictures you would like to share we can do that too.
This month work has taken over most of my knitting time (ask the people joining zoom) so hoping that you all have something finished you can share with us all and inspire everyone. if any of you are participating in the Patty Lyons sweater KAL at least 5 of us that join zoom regularly are taking part so join the zoom for advice and discussions about the pattern.
"Zoom Room" hours for social knitting
Monday-Thursday 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Friday 2:00 pm -10:00 pm
(Happy Hour starts at 4 pm on Fridays)
Saturday-Sunday 9:00 am-10:00 pm
At the February meeting, Charlene shared that she had found a website with links to many Instant Pot recipes.
Here are direct links to some of the delicious look recipes. Even if you don't have an Instant Pot you may want to check out this website because there are lots of quick and easy recipes. We all want to spend less time cooking so we have more time to play with fiber:
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings:
Instant Pot Potato Soup:
Instant Pot Spaghetti:
Instant Pot Orange Chicken:
Instant Pot Kalua Pork:
Some suggestions from Sarah S. on :
Staying Sane--Ways to Stay Connected
By now, most of us are feeling the strain of being stuck at home with only a quick trip to the grocery
store once a week. We all know a fortunate few that have been able to continue working either
remotely or on-site as an essential worker. For the rest of us, we find ourselves both out of work
and without our normal social interaction we rely on to maintain our sanity. Fortunately we have
access to a myriad of online social media platforms to help us stay connected with the world outside
our own four walls. I wanted to remind everyone of some of the opportunities that are available.
Keep in mind this list is in no way exhaustive and they are not necessarily all available for free.
• Ravelry – Search for new groups to join that might have discussion threads on non-yarn topics. I’m a member of a crochet & bread baking group. Just be sure to keep your posts thread appropriate.
• Local Yarn Shops – Many local shops have adopted the Zoom platform to host their regular sit & knits. In some cases they may try to accommodate a portion of their planned class schedule on a modified basis.
• Local Yarn Shops, Part 2 – Many shops have continued to offer online shopping or phone ordering for curbside pick-up. In limited cases, you may be able to speak more in depth with an employee or shop in-store with proper PPE and social distancing, depending on where you live.
• Teachers/Designers – Many teachers, whether full-scale platforms such as Craftsy or individual teachers such as Edie Eckman, have increased their library of online classes and/or offered discounts on certain classes. In some cases, they will send out a discount code in their email newsletter. Designers have been offering their newest patterns free for a very limited time after publishing.
• ESSS Guild – By now I hope everyone has taken the opportunity to log into the ESSS Guild Zoom Chat. Sarah W opens it every day at 8:00am Pacific Time and it remains open until 10:00pm Pacific Time. It is open to all currently active members of the Guild. Some times are more popular than others, but this is a good place to get help on a project, catch up on the ever changing rumors for conventions such as Stitches, get ideas for dinner this week, or just chat about how you’re feeling.