ESSS meetings and activities:
November 20 - 10:00 am-1:00 pm - Virtual ESSS General Meeting
November 14 and 28 -12:30 pm-3:30 pm virtual Sit 'n Knit (this, of course, is our regular time for Sit 'n Knit so even if you aren't able to join the ongoing social knitting on Zoom we hope you will join us for the regular Sit 'n Knit time). Click here for more information
Wednesdays- 6:00 pm-10:00 pm -WIP club (use the Daily Social Knitting Zoom link-see below) Bring your WIP for the WIP challenge: get help and encouragement to finish (or even frog) it.
Daily Social Knitting - Details here (must log in to see)
Note that in addtion to our daily social knitting, we have Sit 'n Knit on the second and fourth Sunday of the month
Other upcoming events of interest:
November 6, 7, 13, 14, 2021 - Stitches at home
November 11-14, 2021 - Virtual Vogue Knitting Live
December 9-12, 2021 - Virtual Vogue Knitting Live
January 7-9, 2022 - Stitches Expo at home
February 5, 6, 12, 13, 2022 - Stitches at home
April 2, 3, 9,10, 2022 - Stitches at home
May 13-15, 2022 - Stitches Expo at home
June 11, 12, 18, 19, 2022 - Stitches at home
July 8-10, 2022 - Stitches Expo at home
August 6, 7, 13, 14, 2022 - Stitches at home
September 9-11, 2022 - Stitches Expo at home
October 7-9, 2022 - Stitches Expo at home
In Person Events:
January 28-30, 2022 - POSTPONED More info here
March 3-6, 2022 - Stitches West 2022-Sacramento, CA
April 7-10, 2022 - Vogue Knitting Live, Seattle, WA
June 24-27, 2022 - Camp Stitches-New Mexico
November 10-13, 2022 - Stitches SoCal 2022-Pasadena, CA
Note: XRX had hoped to hold Stitches SoCal, 2021 in Pasadena but they have decided that they will be unable to do so. But they are reinstating the event in 2022. It is currently on their schedule (see dates above). If you are interested in Stitches SoCal 2022, you may want to keep checking the Stitches website (linked above). Stitches West 2022 at the new venue in Sacramento will likely be the next in-person Stitches event. Registration for Stitches West 2022 is open so if you are interested in attending click on the link above. There is a post with some important show information here and you can read Stitches Event's update about in-person events in 2021 and 2022 here. Vogue Knitting has postponed their show in January 2022 that was to be held in New York City. It will be held in February, 2023 and Vogue will host a smaller event without vendors in August, 2023, for more information click the link above. Vogue has scheduled an in person event in Seattle, WA for April, 2023. That event was postponed from March 2020. Sign-ups do not seem to be available yet, but keep checking the link above for more information.
A message from Pres. Sarah W.
I thought it was supposed to start getting colder in September but it seems to just be getting hotter to me!o (Editor's note: Sarah, I know this isn't the first Autumn that you have been in Los Angeles so how do you not know that September and October are some of the hottest months we have! :-D ) I also have the prospect of 107F heat in Arizona for the next three days so when you see me at the meeting I will have been in a sauna for three days.
I know the last 18 months of Zoom meetings due to Covid have been tough but I love that I have been able to get to know you all more. Please make every effort to attend the meeting this Saturday. The program looks like it will be real interesting.
if you are staying for the program please print the attached pdf so that you have the hand out with all the practice stitches
See you soon
As always Zoom is on most of the weekend, and every weekday evening once I have left the office. If you have questions or have made your swatch come talk with me about it and we can work out what yarn you need.
"Zoom Room" hours for social knitting
Monday-Thursday 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm
Friday 2:00 pm -10:00 pm
(Happy Hour starts at 4 pm on Fridays)
Saturday-Sunday 9:00 am-10:00 pm
Some suggestions from Sarah S. on :
Staying Sane--Ways to Stay Connected
By now, most of us are feeling the strain of being stuck at home with only a quick trip to the grocery
store once a week. We all know a fortunate few that have been able to continue working either
remotely or on-site as an essential worker. For the rest of us, we find ourselves both out of work
and without our normal social interaction we rely on to maintain our sanity. Fortunately we have
access to a myriad of online social media platforms to help us stay connected with the world outside
our own four walls. I wanted to remind everyone of some of the opportunities that are available.
Keep in mind this list is in no way exhaustive and they are not necessarily all available for free.
• Ravelry – Search for new groups to join that might have discussion threads on non-yarn topics. I’m a member of a crochet & bread baking group. Just be sure to keep your posts thread appropriate.
• Local Yarn Shops – Many local shops have adopted the Zoom platform to host their regular sit & knits. In some cases they may try to accommodate a portion of their planned class schedule on a modified basis.
• Local Yarn Shops, Part 2 – Many shops have continued to offer online shopping or phone ordering for curbside pick-up. In limited cases, you may be able to speak more in depth with an employee or shop in-store with proper PPE and social distancing, depending on where you live.
• Teachers/Designers – Many teachers, whether full-scale platforms such as Craftsy or individual teachers such as Edie Eckman, have increased their library of online classes and/or offered discounts on certain classes. In some cases, they will send out a discount code in their email newsletter. Designers have been offering their newest patterns free for a very limited time after publishing.
• ESSS Guild – By now I hope everyone has taken the opportunity to log into the ESSS Guild Zoom Chat. Sarah W opens it every day at 8:00am Pacific Time and it remains open until 10:00pm Pacific Time. It is open to all currently active members of the Guild. Some times are more popular than others, but this is a good place to get help on a project, catch up on the ever changing rumors for conventions such as Stitches, get ideas for dinner this week, or just chat about how you’re feeling.